At Mercedes-Benz USA, employees are delivering the dream as a team. They feel a very high sense of pride to be part of this organization and they pull together when necessary to get the job done.

EMPLOYEE RATINGS

     

This review is based on 893 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.18. It was published on Oct 17, 2014. 12884 Visitors

What You Should Know

At Mercedes-Benz USA LLC (MBUSA), employees say they're delivering the dream as a team. They feel a very high sense of pride to be part of the organization that puts these luxury vehicles on the road, and they pull together when necessary to get the job done. Employees in this friendly, caring workplace give high marks to their managers, and they, in turn, don't hover. Perks like the onsite fitness center and driving a Mercedes home from the office don't hurt, either. In some sites, MBUSA features an open floor plan — those used to working in quiet, closed-door offices might have some adjusting to do. Says one employee: “Between our incredible benefits (health care, 401K, pensions), perks of driving the best vehicles on the road, and generous holidays/paid time off, I feel so incredibly lucky to work for such a great company.”

WHAT THEY DO

MBUSA markets and distributes luxury vehicles across the United States and Puerto Rico. MBUSA also operates a full product management department that plays an integral role in developing vehicles for the U.S. market. 

Website: www.mbusa.com US Headquarters: Montvale, New Jersey
US Sites: 27 Major Locations: Montvale, NJ; Baltimore, MD; Robbinsville, NJ; Irvine, CA; Carson, CA
US Employees: 1602 Employees worldwide: 2
Founded: 1965 Industry: Advertising & Marketing

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At MBUSA, 84 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 12 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

MBUSA employees market and distribute Mercedes-Benz vehicles across the country and Puerto Rico, so they are employed as advertisers, sales and marketing professionals, after-sales operations managers and warehouse associates. Some of them also work in product management to develop vehicles for this market. The company has approximately 1,602 employees in the United States, where they operate 27 locations.

The vast majority of employees (92 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and most (88 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For almost all employees (91 percent), their work at MBUSA is more than just a job: the chance to work with Mercedes-Benz products and represent a brand they're proud of provides special meaning.

At MBUSA, 88 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at MBUSA, 72 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 4 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $8,000
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 13 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 13 hours
  • MBUSA seeks to promote from within and says it fills 60 percent of its open positions that way. To foster professional development, the company offers coaching, assessment tools to create individual development plans, performance management and goal creation, a front-line leadership program for supervisors, a manager development program and networking opportunities. Employees can also participate in MBUSA's Toastmasters Club and take advantage of the opportunity to travel for work. 
This company encourages employees to seek out different job roles and opportunities within the company and has a hiring/transitioning process to support this strategy. I feel that there are many different opportunities to learn our business from many different angles; my background, education and experience do not limit my advancement up or to the side in any way.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At MBUSA, 89 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 9 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

MBUSA is headquartered in New Jersey and operates branches in Georgia, Florida, Maryland, South Carolina, Texas and California. It also has 365 authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Some locations have open-air environments with glass walls, literally creating transparency and enabling cross-functional projects.

A striking 97 percent describe the MBUSA working environment as consistently friendly. More than nine out of 10 find it caring with a family or team feeling, and describe it as a place where people feel comfortable being themselves. Nine out of 10 add that it's fun and cooperative. In fact, 90 percent actually look forward to coming to work.

Fun and Celebrations

  • MBUSA employees have fun with their annual picnic that's open to all associates and their families, an Iron Chef Competition, their year-end holiday party, employee-anniversary parties and outings like trips to New York for a Yankees baseball game and a holiday trip to see the Rockettes at the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. 
  • Each department has fun on its own too, with wedding showers, graduation parties, collective fitness goals and with contests like pumpkin carving and costume competitions. Department managers are also encouraged to invite their teams to offsite meetings annually, whether it's grabbing an ice cream at the local Dairy Queen or going out for an evening of bowling. 

Caring and Support

  • Employees support each other during times of crisis, offering their own time and resources to help their colleagues. MBUSA offers an employee assistance program (EAP) that employees in need can access for free. The program is a confidential service that provides associate assistance, child care assistance and adult care assistance.
  • The company supports its staff during significant life events by providing support in various forms. For example, in the event of a family death, MBUSA provides three paid days off to full-time associates for domestic arrangements, and up to five paid days off for overseas travel and funeral attendance. In the event of an employee's death, the company immediately delivers $3,000 to the employee's family to help offset funeral expenses. 
People celebrate special events around here.
93%
 
There is a team atmosphere especially when the going gets rough.

Demographics

 

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At MBUSA, 86 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 10 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

This company has GREAT benefits! They include very strong 401K matching, a pension plan, a legal plan (Met-Law), dependent care benefits, an employee vehicle lease program and various employee discounts on a wide range of products and services. 

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

$42,420 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Warehouse Associate $120,412 Average salary and additional cash compensation for After-sales Ops Manager
75% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 6% of an employee's contribution 90% Company-paid health coverage for employees
88% Company-paid health coverage for dependents

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account

PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

  • Free beverages during the day
  • Take-home meals on a regular, daily basis
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Car wash
  • Convenience store
  • Banking
  • Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Personal concierge service
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Vehicle maintenance
  • Personal travel service

WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS

32 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment $6,000 Adoption benefit
60 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA 1 days Paid leave for adoptive parents

WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS

  • Flexible schedule (68% use it)
  • Compressed workweeks (3% use it)
  • Elder care resources
  • Telecommute option (35% use it)
  • Lactation rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
94%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
83%
 
I strong[ly] believe the balance of work and personal life that Mercedes-Benz USA provides makes it a very unique place to work. Many times family emergencies arise and management has no problem allowing you to come in late or leave early.

HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS

  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments

ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS

  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Fitness center
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Complete biometric screening
  • Subsidized offsite gym memberships

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At MBUSA, 94 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 5 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 99 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

MBUSA aims to maintain its goals of sustained growth and employment. It focuses on providing high-quality products and great customer satisfaction. MBUSA is also proud of its 57.8 percent luxury brand loyalty rate.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
98%
 
The brand and products instill a sense of pride.

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 8 hours
  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $2,200,000
  • MBUSA takes both a national and a local approach to philanthropy. Some of its initiatives include a partnership with the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation, a nonprofit that uses sports for social change, building homes with Habitat for Humanity, stocking food banks and working at shelters. MBUSA also donates vehicles to fire departments for practicing extrication and first responder skills. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
94%
 
There are frequent opportunities for outreach programs to aid the community. Employees are encouraged to participate.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At MBUSA, 86 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 10 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Although staff is spread out in 27 sites nationwide, MBUSA managers are skilled at being accessible and keeping the lines of communication flowing. Eighty-nine percent of surveyed staffers say managers are approachable and easy to talk with, and almost as many report being able to ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer. Eighty-six percent also feel that management genuinely wants to hear employees' suggestions and ideas. Most people, 88 percent, say they're kept informed of important issues and changes, and they know what management expects of them. 

Executive and senior management are completely accessible, and receptive and responsive to employee issues, which fosters a real enjoyable work environment. We recently brainstormed at a department offsite with our senior management on how we can better work together and serve each other. Moreover, employees are frequently updated through meetings and other communication forms about company plans and developments.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At MBUSA, 85 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 11 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

MBUSA employees widely appreciate the pride and friendly team atmosphere their leaders encourage. Employees describe MBUSA's leaders as ethical, skilled, reliable and caring. Ninety-three percent say management is honest and ethical in its business practices. Almost as many say managers are competent at running the business and have a clear view of where it's headed and how to get there. When it comes to reliability, 89 percent say managers deliver on their promises and 86 percent say management's actions match its words. People also feel their managers care, evidenced by the 87 percent who feel that managers show a sincere interest in them as people, not just staff members, and the 92 percent who believe management would only lay people off as a last resort.

Management goes the extra mile to keep us informed, thank us and recognize us for our contributions, ask us for our help and extra effort when needed. We all feel part of the company.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Onsite Fitness Center: MBUSA's home office has an onsite fitness center which includes Spin bikes, stair-climbers, treadmills, elliptical machines and anaerobic weight machines. It even provides workout clothes! Two full-time certified trainers manage the facility and offer personal training and weight management coaching as well as yoga classes, Spinning classes and other courses. For associates who do not work at the home office, MBUSA offers reimbursement of up to $300 for gym memberships. 
  • Healthy Meals: At MBUSA headquarters, a subsidized cafeteria offers heart-healthy choices among daily menu items. Employees can make informed decisions about their meals by reading the nutritional information displayed on the items and can choose vegetarian or vegan options. Those who are too busy to go to the cafeteria can place an advance order and have lunch delivered to their desks. 
  • Flex Time: A strict 9-5 schedule isn't right for everyone, so the company offers the ability to change it up. Some associates arrive earlier or stay later, and some work a compressed week instead. MBUSA provides smartphones, laptops and VPN key fobs to ensure these flexible schedules are productive and compatible with the rest of the company. Some employees also telecommute. 
  • Summer Hours: Employees enjoy summer hours during the season. They can choose to start work earlier from Monday to Thursday and then leave early on Friday. In addition, from Memorial Day through to Labor Day, the dress code changes from "business casual" to optional "casual jeans attire."
  • Iron Chef Competition: One of MBUSA's unique events is its Iron Chef Competition. Employee teams compete to produce the best dish in this fun competition, and everyone gets to taste the results. The cost of attending and entering the competition is a food item - all donations are given to a local food pantry.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from MBUSA employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"As a marketer, it is rare to work for a brand where you don't have to spin or dig to find a compelling marketing story. I love that I can do the job effectively without sacrificing my integrity or values and there is a real sense of pride knowing that I help to put the safest cars in the world on the road."

"Almost every employee drives a Mercedes! Can any other company state that? Also we have a true pension plan."

"MBUSA is a rare gem of companies. The people are all extremely motivated around the incredible products we sell, and everyone is passionate to make this a true team environment. I feel as though I am fully empowered to run with projects and lead in my position. Employees are both empowered and given the autonomy to achieve as much as possible in our roles. I have never loved a company and brand as much as I love MBUSA. Every single day, I wake up genuinely excited to come to work. Many of my friends who work at other companies even comment on the fact that I don't treat going to work as a chore; I look forward to being given the opportunity to delve deep into projects and interact with my colleagues (many of whom are my friends). There is definitely something special about the culture and working environment at MBUSA."

"We are offered great deals to allow us to drive our product on a daily basis and always have opportunities to drive every model available at some point."

"We deliver the dream as a team."

"We work in an extremely busy area and management pushes us hard, but what makes it acceptable is that management understands our stress and shows support and appreciation in many ways. During snow storms, bagels and pizza are delivered for us. We also celebrate employee anniversaries and milestones every quarter with elaborate parties and/or barbecues. Management shows appreciation during Customer Service Week by cooking a delicious breakfast for everyone and delivering it to our desk."

"The company always finds a unique way to do things. For example, Oktoberfest after a company meeting in the fall, special dedicated 'clean up' your work area day, mini iPad gift for being Number One Luxury Car, etc."

"What a fantastic product to represent. I proudly tell my friends and family that I work for Mercedes-Benz, and I know that my co-workers feel the same. There is a team atmosphere here, and we are often called to 'pull things together' quickly to get the job done. It's amazing how we all rise to the occasion."

"It's professional and a warm place to work."

"This company offers advancement if you desire and even tells you about job postings that exist out there within the company. I feel like the company is looking out for my best interests. This company is team oriented and I feel everyone works as a team and helps each other out."

"We are part of a big family and always willing to support each other, we have additional vacation days to spend with the family, we receive respect, our work is well valued and we have opportunities to work worldwide."

"MBUSA is fully committed to personal and professional development. We offer a robust catalog of classes, but if the particular class you need is not available, they encourage you to find an outside training company that offers what you need. Employees are given access to mentoring, coaching (resume writing, interviewing skills) and other tools to help you apply for other jobs. They show remarkable confidence that employees will not take advantage of professional development training and leave the company."

How to Get Hired

We asked MBUSA for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

  • Fit within the team
  • The “Benziness” factor (customer service orientation)
  • Team player
  • Willingness to help
  • Willingness to grow and advance
  • Strong communication skills
  • Inquisitive
  • Professional
  • Reliability
  • Empathetic

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Prospective employees can show us their passion for the brand beyond the fact that they may drive our fantastic products currently. Perhaps tell us what they think about a new concept vehicle or point us out to a great vehicle customization they saw on the web. Tell us about your first experience in, or driving, a Mercedes and how that made you feel in that moment.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

We would not call it unusual as it is very frequently done with our company, however, we are big fans of candidates being required to answer questions as part of a business case study during their interview. The case study allows us to evaluate a candidate’s responses and thoughts on an actual business issue, and also allows the candidate a glimpse into what their day-to-day function may look like while at MBUSA.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

Customer service-oriented roles, field dealership representatives.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Check out some of our brand pages on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to learn about our brand and then express their interest on www.mbusa.jobs.

Hiring Outlook

-14%Job Growth 18Average number of applicants per opening
3%Total voluntary turnover in past year 6233Applicants in past year
41Openings in past year 12%New hires by employee referrals

Related Companies